Population (1991 Census)
- 92.15" - 93.29" E Longitude
- 21.58" - 23.35" N Latitude
Tropic of Cancer runs through the heart of Mizoram
- International Border
At present Mizoram has 8 districts
- With Myanmar, 404 kilometers
- With Bangladesh, 318 kilometers
- Male, 3,58,978
- Female, 3,30,778
- Total persons, 6,89,756
- Density of Population, 33 persons per square kilometres.
- Percentage of Urban population, 46
- Percentage of rural population, 54
- Total number of Village, 785
Religion - Wise Population (1991)
- As of 1999 the Literacy percentage rateis 95.0, the highest in India
- Female Literacy percentage, 78.60
- Male Literacy percentage, 85.61
Poverty Of The People
- Christian, 5,91,342 = 85.73%
- Buddhist, 54,024 = 7.83%
- Hindu, 34,788 = 5.04%
- Muslim, 4,538 = 0.65%
- Sikhs, 299
- Other Religion, 1,859
- Religion Not Stated, 2,902
Taking Mizo People in Mizoram, Christians may be 100%. Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim etc. are non Mizos.
- According to Government of Mizoram figure, number of families who are lying Below Poverty Line/Level (BPL) who are in object poverty = 56.07 per cent.
- According to Government of India figure BPL in Mizoram = 25.66 per cent.
- Tol Workers, 48.95% of Total Population
- Main Workers, 42.09% of Total Population
- Marginal Workers, 6.82% of Total Population
- Cultivators, 61.37% of Total Population
- Agriculture Laborers, 3.26% of Total Population
- Household Industry Workers, 1.01% of Total Population
- Office Worker, 6.0% of Total Population
Schools (1998-99) & Colleges
- Higher Secondary Schools....18
- High Schools/Secondary Schools....360
- Middle Schools....726
- Primary Schools....1244
- Colleges for General Education....29
- Theological College....1
- Professional Education....2
- Mizoram does not have University of its own, there is one University Campus i.e. North Eastern Hill University Mizoram Campus.
* Mizoram is the only State in the whole North East that does not have a UNIVERSITY of its own.
- Industrial Training Institute(ITI)....1
- Polytechnic school....1
- Women Polytechnic....1
- District Institute of Educational Training(DIET)....2
- College of Teachers' Education(CTE)....1
(as on December 1996)
- Matriculates and above Total....25984
- High School Leaving Certificate(HSLC)& Pre University Certificate (PUC)....22538
- Graduates (Arts & Science)....3223
- Master Degree Holder....223
- As on 1st November 1998 Mizoram has as many as 180 Bachelor of Engineer (BE) and 338 Junior Engineer (JE) and 334 Stenographer as job seekers/unemployed.
Power & Energy
- Road Communication is still the life-line & most important Communication in Mizoram. About 100 Villages are not yet linked by motorable road. To have total connectivity about 1210 kilometres of road needs to be constructed.
- There is Air service between Calcutta and Aizawl (Capital of Mizoram) three days a week only.
- No water transport system.
- Railhead has reached Mizoram at Bairabi (mainly meant for carrying goods).
- Road length in Mizoram is 31.14 kilometer per 100 square kilometer (India average is 60 kilometer per 100 square kilometer).
- Power requirement (Demand) of Mizoram is 79 MW. And is likely to rise to 141 MW by the end of the 9th Plan.
- Power availability (mainly through import from outside the State) is 36 MW only. As per the trend, requirement of power is likely to increase at the rate of 10 to 15 per cent per year.
- Per Capita Power consumption of 137 KWh is one of the lowest in India. India Per Capita Power consumption average is 314 KWh
- Category-wise consumption of Power in Mizoram is
- 85 Per cent domestic and Public lighting
- 10 per cent Commercial
- 4.4 per cent Public Water Works
- 0.6 per cent Industrial consumption.
The entire Mizoram is a notified backward area and is categorised under "No Industry State". The State perhaps, is the most industrially backward state in the country.
- M.S.Swaminathan Research Foundation (Chennai) recommends/Proposes (taking few)
- Establishment of Tea Industry
- Establishment of Large Scale Fruit Processing Unit.
- Establishment of an Agroforestry Center.
- Establishment of Coffee Plantation.
- Tata Economic Consultancy Services (MUMBAI) Proposes (taking few)
- Integrated Fruit Juice Concentrate Unit
- Integrated Production & Processing of Poultry & Pork
- Coffee Plantation
- Integrated Poultry and Cattle Feed Project
- Information Technology
- Tourism etc. etc.